Decorating your Windshield? What you need to
Sticker Vs. Decal.
Is there even a difference between a sticker and a decal? Well, all decals are stickers, but not all stickers are decals. If that confused you even more, let’s go a bit deeper! A sticker is basically an adhesive label that is generally printed or illustrated. However, a decal, which is short for decalcomania, is a design prepared on special paper that allows for it to be transferred onto another surface such as metal or glass for the purpose of decoration. They are specialized for long-term, outdoor use. Windshields are an especially popular place to put a decal, in fact, I’m sure at some point you’ve seen decals on all the different car windows. Popular decals include those cute stick-figure families, company logos, sports teams, #momlife – the list just goes on, and on, and on. So you’ve decided you’re a “decal person”, keep reading!!
The Do’s and Don’ts of Windshield Decals.
If you live in Arizona, there are a few rules that you need to abide by if you want to decorate your car with decals. If you don’t, there will be a good chance that you may get fined. So, to avoid any fines, here’s what you need to know:
- The decal should NOT alter the color or reduce the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows.
- Any decal displayed in the lower corner of the passenger’s side of the windshield should be no more than 7 inches in diameter.
- Any decal displayed in the lower corner of the driver’s side of the windshield should be no more than 5 inches in diameter.
- A decal may NOT in any way obstruct or reduce a driver’s clear view through the windshield or side or rear window.
- Decals may NOT be applied to the rear window in any way, shape, or form, if either of the two side-view mirrors are damaged, not functioning correctly, or not providing a clear, unobstructed view.
- Decals should NOT be located on any part of the windshield that would negatively affect the vehicle’s Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS).
- Decals should be located in an area that won’t affect the function of the vehicle’s windshield wipers.
To Decal or Not To Decal?
Decals are a great way to personalize your vehicle, advertise your business, support local businesses, and to have a little fun with your car! But you need to be smart about it. It’s important to be aware of the regulations regarding decal use and placement on vehicles. Ultimately, protecting your loved ones while driving is the most important thing and windshields are vital to the overall vehicle safety, so decals should never obstruct the driver’s view of their surroundings. So have fun with your decals, but be smart! ☺
Do you have decals on your windows? Then it’s even more important to make sure the foundation, aka your windshield, is not damaged! Chipped or cracked windshield? Call us TODAY at (480) 283-7751 or GET A QUOTE NOW! We can help you get your ride’s windshield in perfect shape to properly display the decals you’ve chosen to highlight your unique personality to the world!